Job Shop Scheduling –
The Secret To Getting On Time & Reducing Lead Times
By “Dr Lisa” Lang
There’s no question that scheduling a custom job shop has its challenges.. And, every time we encounter one of the many challenges, our schedule is out-of-date and we need to update the schedule.
In fact, don’t we spend A LOT of time updating the schedule? Here are just a few of the common scheduling challenges that cause us to continually update the schedule:1
- Clients change their mind
- Vendors aren’t always reliable
- Mix can vary wildly and so our constraint move
- Employees do not always have the right skill and their discipline is lacking
- Processes are not reliable
- Machines and tools break
- Quality is not near perfect
- Data is not readily available, accurate or communicated
- Communication between silos is difficult
But, there is also no question that scheduling plays a big role in our on time delivery performance and lead time. And, our on time delivery performance, along with our lead times, determines our competitive position within our industry.
|Click here to continue reading|